Your home is where you feel safest. However, there are a number of hidden dangers in your home that could cause injury or death to you, your family, and your pets.
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas produced by improperly functioning fireplaces, water heaters, boilers, furnaces, and stoves as well as by motor vehicles and other gasoline engines. The poisonous gas can build up to toxic levels within small, enclosed spaces that lack proper ventilation. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, confusion, unconsciousness, and death. Because carbon monoxide is undetectable until after poisoning occurs, setting up a carbon monoxide detector in your home is a must. Long Beach home security monitoring from Vivint.com can also help keep your family safe against carbon monoxide.
Unless your home uses only electric appliances for heating and cooking, your furnace, stove, and water heater uses natural gas. Although natural gas is odorless, gas companies add foul odors like resemble rotten eggs to the gas to alert residents about a gas leak. Symptoms of natural gas poisoning are similar to the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. A gas leak detection system can help keep your family safe. If you detect an unusual scent of rotten eggs, leave your home immediately and open any windows or doors that you can on the way out.
Radon is a radioactive, colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. The poisonous gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. Radon forms naturally from the breakdown uranium in rocks, soil, and groundwater. The gas can seep in through cracks in your home and largely accumulates in basements and crawlspaces. A radon test kit can tell you if your home contains dangerous levels of radon.
Mold is a fungus that can cause serious health problems. Minor problems include nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. More serious problems include serious and life-threatening allergic reactions and fungal infections of the lungs. Because mold thrives in moist environments, protecting your home from water leaks and floods is the key to controlling mold.
Hidden fire hazards are a leading cause of fires in the home. A fire can damage or destroy your property and can lead to loss of life. Obvious fire hazards include unattended candles and fireplace fires, space heaters, and cooking with kitchen appliances. Hidden fire hazards include old and faulty wiring, overloaded power outlets, lint buildup in dryers, and older appliances. Long Beach home security from Vivint.com can monitor your home for smoke and fires when you are at home or away.
Many homeowners consider cleaning chemicals fairly safe because most products can be bought over-the-counter at the grocery store. However, cleaning chemicals can be dangerous to humans and pets. Mixing certain chemicals can also produce deadly gases. Store your cleaning supplies in locked cabinets away from children and animals. And never mix cleaning chemicals together unless specifically noted on the container.