There are many things that go in favour of sports activities, but this article will not discuss them. The crucial thing for sports, however, we will. The basic thing you need if you want to practice basketball at home is the court. Many people decide to use their driveway as an improvised basketball court because they do not have enough space in the backyard or they simply do not want to put any effort into it. If you are one of those who want to convert their backyard into a home court, here is what you should do.
What you will need
The basic things you are going to need if you want to make a home basketball court are the following:
- Tape measure
- 1 or 2 basketball pole hoops (depending on the size of your court – if you want to make the entire court, you are going to need one for each half)
- 4 stakes
- Spray paint
How to make it?
Once you have everything, we will now go through the process step by step.
- Make a plan and the size – The first step is to measure the surface of your yard that is going to be turned into a court, and then to make a plan. Since NBA courts are 94 ft x 50 ft and high school 84 ft long, you can divide these numbers in half for a half and adjust them to the size you have at your disposal. Take the four stakes and mark the dimensions of the court so that you know where to dig and set up the hoops.
- Level the field – Before you start digging, go and purchase the hoop(s) that will be size-appropriate to your court. Once you have cleared out the area, you can dig the dirt and start levelling it – by moving it from one place to another so that it becomes smooth, without lower or higher areas.
- Make the foundation – Put the pole hoop(s) at the preferred location before you make the concrete. Once you establish the weather is (going to be) nice and dry – it will take it 36 hours to set. It would be best if you asked professionals for help in this step.
- Paint the lines – Once the concrete is set and dry, you can start painting the lines. You can also ask professionals for help, such as Sydney-based line marking service, so that you can be sure they are well done. And if you are open for experimenting, you do not have to use white paint but different colours, especially if you have small kids who will love it.
- Accessorise and enjoy! – Once you have everything done, you can consider adding surfacing to your court, such as rubber flooring that your knees will be grateful for. There is also the possibility of adding containment fences (while you are pouring the concrete) so consider every option beforehand. And do not forget to set the nets to the hoops.
As you can see, the process of making a home basketball court is quite easy. All you need is basically some good will and some time (for the concrete to dry), and almost in an instant you have your own basketball court. However, if you already have a concrete surface in your front or back yard, all you should do is to find the hoop, attach it to your house for example, paint the lines on the concrete, and there you have it – a perfect basketball court in almost no time!