Operating a commercial business can be expensive, and one of the most expensive costs is the utility bill. Many business owners take advantage of various methods to conserve energy in their homes, but often forget that many of the money-saving techniques they use at home can also be used for their business. One of the most effective energy-saving changes you can make for your business is to change the lighting. There are two primary types of lighting you can use in a business that will help to reduce energy costs: fluorescent and/or LED.
It is common for commercial buildings to have fluorescent bulbs as the primary source of lighting for the interior of the building. Fluorescent bulbs use less energy than standard bulbs, so they are cost effective and they produce an evenly distributed bright light. Although fluorescent lighting is ideal for the interior of a warehouse or department store where there is a need for extra bright lights, they are typically not recommended for outside use or for use in a building that houses individual offices.
LED Commercial Lighting
Technology is truly evolving and with modern technology comes the ability to light up a commercial building with inexpensive LED lighting. There are several reasons why LED lights are recommended for a commercial building.
- Reduced energy bills. When you replace the old lighting in your commercial building with LED lighting, the amount of energy consumption may be reduced by as much as 75 percent.
- Cooler building. LED lights use less electricity; therefore, they emit less heat, which makes them safe to touch as well as beneficial for keeping the indoor temperature of your building more stabilized.
- Reduced maintenance. LED commercial lights are significantly more durable and longer lasting than standard bulbs, so the maintenance cost for changing bulbs will decrease significantly.
- Less expense. Although LED bulbs may initially cost slightly more than standard bulbs, the life span of an LED bulb is about 50,000 hours for commercial use. This is about 30 times longer than a halogen bulb and five times longer than fluorescent bulbs.
- Non-toxic. Fluorescent bulbs contain a small trace of mercury, which can be extremely toxic when exposed. LED commercial lights do not contain mercury; in fact, they do not have anything that could pose a potential health risk to employees or visitors of your company.
- Brightness. LED bulbs provide as much, if not more brightness than a fluorescent bulb, but they are a white light, which means it does not hurt your eyes to look directly at an LED bulb.
The lighting in your building can make the difference between the building looking dim and dull or bright and occupied. LED lights can be used both as the primary interior and exterior lighting source for your commercial building. If you want to start conserving energy, do your part to save the environment and spend less money on utility bills — the first place to make changes is with the buildings lighting source.